By Western Hands Master Artisan Requirements
Building on the tradition of the Western Design Conference and Cody High Style, By Western Hands exhibits today’s top Western artisans.
BECOMING A Fellow BY WESTERN HANDS Master ARTISAN
BY WESTERN HANDS™ (BWH) IS A WYOMING NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION FOUNDED IN 2015 BY COMMUNITY LEADERS AND MASTER ARTISANS TO EDUCATE, PERPETUATE, AND CONSERVE THE LEGACY OF AMERICAN WESTERN FUNCTIONAL ART AND DESIGN. IT IS THE SUCCESSOR OF THE WESTERN DESIGN CONFERENCE LOOSELY FORMED IN 1992, FOLLOWED BY CODY HIGH STYLE.
BWH celebrates the legacies of present and past artisans in a permanent exhibition showcasing the best of Western functional art created by award-winning master artisans over the last three decades. A permanent archive is being assembled as a resource to study and learn about collections, design drawings, photographs and narratives, preserving the historically significant designs for future reference.
Master artisans are privileged to display their work in the BWH gallery showroom and on the website. Their work may be purchased by patrons and the design trades, and a portion of the sales proceeds go to support the educational programs and initiatives which perpetuate and sustain the knowledge, skills and techniques necessary for next generation of artisans to continue the master art. BWH recognizes the immediate need to preserve master artisan knowledge, techniques, and legacy through exhibitions, demonstrations and educational programs. The BWH mission is to connect current and future generations and to ensure that these traditional arts will continue to thrive for years to come.
BENEFITS as a Master Artisan of BWH
- Exclusive association with fellow master artisans; brand as an artisan of BWH;
- Recognition by patrons and the design trade as being an artisan of an organization representing the best design and highest quality of American Western functional art. Mediums include: antler, bone, bead, fabric, wood, leather, jewelry, fine metals and hard metals;
- Connection to and collaborations with fellow master artisans;
- Work is exhibited in the BWH gallery showroom, Cody, WY;
- Personal biography and work are shown on the BWH website;
- Website is information and transactional and is designed to financially support BWH educational mission through artisan sales and donations; it will be a tool to announce education opportunities, programming, and artisan news;
- Participation in selected regional and national art shows and public and private galleries;
- Use of the BWH Demonstration Workshop space to, teach, train, and create original works;
- Broad marketing and sales support to raise awareness of patrons, collectors and designers about artisan’s work and the BWH mission to sustain the art;
- Artisans are supported by an independent community-led board and dedicated staff.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
TO BECOME A BY WESTERN HANDS ARTISAN
- To become an artisan is by BWH application;
- Acceptance is based on quality and body of work and reputation and recommendations;
- An applicant must submit two letters of recommendation from a collector, patron or current/past artisan supporting the applicant’s qualification to join BWH; the letters must accompany the application;
- An applicant must submit photographs of work to be reviewed by the BWH Applicant Jury; applicant may further be required to submit one or more pieces of work to be reviewed and examined by the Applicant Jury.
- An applicant’s work product will be evaluated on the following standards:
- functional art that is inspired by the American West traditions;
- design and creativity;
- quality of craftsmanship;
- desirability and use.
- An artisan shall be permitted to use the BWH trademarked logo to brand all work product. The use and displaying of the Trademark logo of By Western Hands by all artisans will be governed by a separate Trademark Logo Use Statement accompanying this Application to which the Applicant must agrees.
- The artisan applicant agrees to the BWH Artisan Agreement and BWH Consignment Agreement. Both agreements must be signed by the applicant and an authorized member of BWH before an applicant can be accepted as a master artisan.
- The applicant understands the mission of By Western Hands is to educate, perpetuate, and conserve the legacy of American Western functional art and design and a portion of the sale proceeds generated through the sale of the artisan work will be used to support BWH and its mission and initiatives.
- BWH reserves the right to accept or decline any work product offered by an artisan which the artisan wishes to be exhibited on the BWH showroom gallery floor or website.
- Artisan must always be in good-standing; must adhere to the standards, policies and procedures as set forth by the BWH board. The payment of an annual fee (2022- artisan annual membership fee is $450.00) is due upon acceptance.
Mary Sims, firstname.lastname@example.org or 307-586-1755